Saturday, November 22, 2014

Poppin' tags


Sometimes blogging is a little bit hard, because it feels like such a 'me! me! me!'fest. I mean, not that I don't love it, I just feel narcissistic at times. 
I guess we could begin by talking about the important and real issues that are going on in my life. I mean, that would be the honest and probably mature thing to do. But ignoring important things that make us uncomfortable is the American way. And, I am a American through and through.

So, instead let's talk about thrifting. -again cuz I kinda talked about it last time I blogged-
I went to the Antique shop on Main street in Cedar City this Friday. I've driven past it, oh I don't know a hundred times, and never noticed it. My mother, is the one who took me and opened my eyes to this stellar shop. If it seems like we go thrifting all the time together, let me assure you, it's probably mostly coincidental that I'm blogging about it two time in a row. Plus, last time it was a thrift shop, which I am convinced is different from an antique shop.
See, a thrift shop, is full of a lot of sketchy old stuff and smells like midlife crisis. But an antique shop is full of sketchy old stuff that's been cleaned up a little and smells like much less of a midlife crisis. Either way though, they're fantastic.

Did you say you wanted to see really poor quality cell phone pictures in really bad lighting?  That happens to be one of my main talents, except for knowing how to sing the werewolf bar-mitzvah song from 30 rock. Some talents are best kept to ourselves though I guess.
Books are some of the best parts of thrifting. They reek of mothballs and possibility, two things I find to be highly rad.
Also, that light red set? I would absolutely die to own them. Although there was a Jack London that really called my name too

The wardrobe to Narnia. Or something

It takes great restraint not to buy old pillbox hats and kid gloves. Think how snazzy I could look at church?
The mind reels with the sheer possibilities.

Does you heart go pitter patter when you see old china hutches? They're heavy and bulky and so darn lovable.

Are you in love? This is the exact moment I fell in love. L-O-V-E people. Just *sigh* perfection.

Old trunks seem to be staples at antique shops. While I lust after them whole-heartedly, I don't actually know what you'd do with them. Besides hide dead bodies of course.
It is mandatory, and I do mean mandatory, to peruse through any turquoise jewelry whilst thrifting.
I  have recurring dreams of finding that one special turquoise cuff bracelet you know. 
Not pictured from this antiquing adventure is the really fantastic old lady watch I scored. It's everything I never knew I needed. Pearl face, square, kinda smells like cigarette smoke, the whole package deal! I'm probably going to go back this week. I really don't think I can live without all , an unreasonable amount, some, one (or two) of those old books. 

On a completely unrelated note, I bought a typewriter on Etsy. Etsy is like virtual thrift shopping, or just an online craft fair. I am a big fan of Etsy.
Essentially, I blatantly ignored the fact that I'm 20 years old, very poor and supposed to be scrimping all of my pennies to pay for my education and bought this beautiful thing. I've always had a thing for typewriters, you just can't beat the loud click clacks produced from typing on them. It's a late 60s, early 70s manual model, and it's positively charming. Initially, there was some trouble getting it to work and figuring it all out, but it's up and running beautifully now.
 You can expect I'll write the next great American novel on this bad boy, like Hemingway, minus the alcoholism. Or, it may just be a really good decor item. I like to keep my possibilities open. 

1 comment:

  1. Loved my stroll down memory lane. I have some neat old books down the basement and on the top shelf of my bookcase. Come and take a look at them. You may want to take some home with you. I loved your pictures . You do a great job with your phone.......Keep posting.....I am always so happy when I find a new one....love you sweet girl....

    ReplyDelete