I didn't ever really think about running away as a child. Mostly, because I didn't have a clue how I would get anywhere. Plus, like, stranger danger and all that.
I do think about running away a lot now as a pseudo-adult ( it feels like utter fraud to call myself a real adult) . Not like in the angst-y adolescent sense of "No one understands me and like Tommy totally likes Becky instead of me. WHY?!?!?!" Although dang that Tommy and his horrible taste in adolescent females. It's more of a real desire to just run away from responsibility and grown up nonsense. Had I been properly warned about the realities of the 'real world', I assure you I would've absolutely opted out.
It's not that I hate life or anything so dramatic as that. I just fantasize of this magical idea of going somewhere new and adventuring my heart out. The fact that there wouldn't be work or school or pretending to have your life together is just an added bonus to the fantasy.
So, on nights where I cannot sleep, I pretend plan running away adventures. I'm sure it's very healthy and normal behavior in most 20 somethings. I flip on my classical music station, because it makes me feel at least 10x more sophisticated than I am and only seems appropriate for planning grand life adventures. My latest pretend adventure I planned going to Italy. I would live in wine country, despite my lack of knowledge and interest in the beverage, become wildly cultured and probably marry a beautiful Italian man. It would end badly, largely because I would never learn Italian, which would put great strain on our marriage, and I would have to fly back to America leaving him utterly heartbroken. Fake adventures can be extremely dramatic and soap opera-ish, just to add a spark of intrigue that reality often lacks.
I was getting my heart very set on being the divorcee of a lovely Italian man, until I compared the price of my pretend trip to the real amount of monies in my bank account. *Monies is totally a word, and I for one am grateful for that fact. Alas, they didn't quite match up. So, I will be sticking to real life for now. What it lacks for in drama and intrigue, it makes up for in every other area. Life is good ladies and gentlemen. Sometimes being a successful human being is relishing in the fact that as grand and beautiful as the pretend adventures you want to have are, you're still deliciously happy in the life you actually get to lead.





No comments:
Post a Comment