Despite the Merle Haggard song-and caption on my Instagram birthday selfie- I did not turn 21 in prison doing life without parole. My mother raised me better, which was good of her, even if it did lead to missing out on incarceration on my 21st birthday.
I'm not even really a birthday person, which is a shame and probably a sin that eventually I'll have to repent for. But I'm really not done repenting for judging people that believe in Facebook quizzes, so I'm quite busy in the repentance department. But anyway, despite my lack of birthday pep-and over all pep really, there's a reason I was never a cheerleader. I'm lacking in pep all over the place- I do get hit with the birthday self reflections. Which is not at all unusual because sometimes just the sun shining a certain way gets me reflecting.
I think as a child I figured 21 was the top of the hill to being over the hill, if ya know what I mean. O-L-D. That's what I'm sayin. Although I also thought I was going to grow up to be a tall long haired princess/waitress. Sooo. My judgement and perspective on the future wasn't exactly accurate.
However, I don't really feel o-l-d. Wildly neurotic, although I suspect that's been there all along and I've just really embraced it, but not o-l-d. I thought I had developed some real cute crows feet, but actually I'd just slept on a rumpled pillow. And also I need my glasses an awful lot more than I ever have which makes me think about going blind young and whether I could live with a seeing eye dog. See? Neurosis as far as the eye can see.
Most of my adulthood-and I use that word verrrrry loosely- years have been a million dollar experience that I wouldn't pay 2 cents to have again. But 20 treated me pretty good I think. 20 was this wild experiment of getting settled into comfort zones of beliefs and people and life goals and having it ripped right out from underneath me. Which sounds unpleasant, and it is, except it's so darn good for you in the end.
But anyway. I turned 21. The twins brought me Dew Shine- do not drink unless you like the idea of fake alcohol tasting soda. Which most sane people do not-and flowers. My mother bought me a dress that is the exact shade of pink I believe Barbie uses in her Malibu dream house, which is wonderful of course. And I received juuuuust enough cat themed things to confirm that, yes, I do need to stop making cat jokes.
So, hi there 21 nice to see you, why don't you stay a while.





You are finally at the great age fo 21.....Three cheers for you....If you are like me it didn't sound any more grown up than 20 did....I guress it's all in how you view the world around you. Any way, hope you had a great Birthday. We all love you and are proud of the beautiful young lady you have become. Summer is suppose to be just around the corner, and vacation time is here......What shall we do to celebrare? We need to come up with something... LOVE YOU SWEET GIRL...
ReplyDelete