Friday, December 5, 2014

December

Now, that it is officially December I get to word vomit explode about the Holiday season. I am very staunch about keeping my holidays separate, but equal. I wouldn't allow one ounce of Christmas seep into November and insult Thanksgiving. I will side-eye you to death if you try celebrating holidays outside of their scheduled time frame. In the truest sense of the word, I am a holiday snob.

I have broken out my Christmas music, now that it is appropriate for it. Mine consists of a lot of Bing Crosby, Billie Holiday, and of course any song that is played during the Christmas Charlie Brown show. (although truth be told the Halloween show has better music *gasp!*) I've swooned over twinkle lights-as per the season dictates. Soon enough, I'll start Christmas shopping and gift wrapping and all the other Christmas traditions. And all of that is perfectly fine and wonderful.


Have you seen this video? Help yourself to pushing play if you haven't. I guarantee you'll see it on social media at least a thousand more times before the month has ended. 
I like it for, oh I dunno, a hundred reasons at least.  I like the message. It's 100% ok with me if you celebrate Christmas from a nonreligious point of view, or if you don't celebrate Christmas at all. -Hanukkah and potato pancakes sounds ah-mazing too you know-
But, to me, being a Christian means acknowledging that the season has nothing to do with lights, or wrapping paper or trees, as wonderful as they are in their own right. It's about Christ. It's always been about Him.
In the month of December, I hope at least once you marvel at the humble circumstances of His birth. The obedience and bravery His earthly parents had. The simple life He lived. The powerful message of His ministry. The sacrifice of His death. And the hope and promise of His resurrection.

We're pretty good at celebrating this month with a lot of selfless giving to others, in honor of Jesus's birth. So, I won't stress the importance of giving to others during this month because no doubt, you're going to already.

So, beyond giving gifts and our time, how do be celebrate Him? What do we do, if it seems we have nothing to give?

In the Christmas short film, Mr. Kreuger's Christmas, the main character Mr. Kreuger is transported in a dream to the manger scene of the Christ child. He is stunned and in awe of the important scene he is in, and talks at length to the baby Jesus.
"I didn't bring a gift, I, but I, I guess that's not important. Thank you for everything you've done for me. As long as I can remember you've been right by my side... I-I've always been able to count on you, when I felt dark inside. You were right there, right, every time, right there. Even when I didn't feel good about myself, I knew that you cared for me enough, and that, that made me feel better....I love you. You're my closest, my finest friend. And that means that I can hold my head high, wherever I go. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you."

If nothing else, if it seems as though you have nothing to give, might I suggest this season accepting a gift? Accepting Him perhaps? He is your closest and finest friend, if only you will let Him be. Accepting him is a gift to you, and a gift to Him. It is a gift that has the power to literally change a man's nature, to make him into a better and more glorious individual than he was before or could hope to be by his own design. 

In the gift exchanging, and the time volunteered, and the money donated to good causes that happen during this month, let just one more gift into your home. It will prove to be the most long lasting and important endeavor you will pursue in this lifetime. 

1 comment:

  1. Simply beautiful.....I love this most important christmas message Erin.....Hope you have the very beat Chrustmas ever..Love you sweet girl...

    ReplyDelete