Sunday, January 20, 2013

Oh ya know.....

I should be in bed. I really really should. Its like almost midnight, and if I were a responsible adult, I'd be gettin in bed.

But I'm not a responsible adult. Like....at all. Oh I may put on the front of being mature when absolutely necessary, but let's get real here. I have two stuffed monkeys on my bed, and I color in my princess coloring book on a regular basis. And if you asked me to, I could perform most of the Disney movies for you, word for word.

I think I'm hoping I grow out of this stage, but at the same time, I'm pretty sure I'm going to be a Peter   Pan child forever and never grow up.

I'm not sure if that means I'm immature, or if I'm just living life to the fullest.

For any who haven't heard the tragic news, my creepy math boyfriend broke up with me. I wish I had known we were together in the first place, because I like to know when I'm in relationships. It's helpful occasionally. But yeah...he told me that we needed to take a break. I'm sure you can imagine how heartbroken I was. I was pretty sure we were soul-mates.

Life continues to move forward, I continue to not do my hair. I keep telling myself it's because it's more healthy to let it run wild and free because I'm not damaging it with heat. But the truth is, I really just value my sleep waaaaaaaaay more than my appearance. Appearance, isn't really all that important in the long run right? I mean eventually you no longer look like an 18 year old. Because you're too busy being an adorable 88 year old.

I've been thinking a lot about my goal for 2013 about embracing happiness. The fundamental thing I realized is how different I am now from a this time last year. Isn't it funny how day to day and week to  week  nothing change, but looking back on the years everything is so different. I'm not trying to be preachy, but here I go preachin ;)
The things I am realizing I need to let more happiness in my life are:

  1. The gospel. I feel so much like my daddy dearest saying that, but it really is the truth. The gospel hasn't always been a real part of my life. And it's very easy to try to separate the church from everything else in your life. But, the more you involve it into your life, the happier you can be. I believe at the core of the gospel is happiness.
  2. Forgiveness. The longer you hold onto any sort of bitter feelings, the more you are depriving yourself of being happy. I think sometimes you just have to forgive people, even when they aren't sorry, and accept the apologies you never got. 
  3. Stop striving for perfection. The perfectionist in me shudders typing that. But the fact of the matter is, I'm never going to be perfect. And neither are you. So there. As long as you are happy with what you are doing, go for it and be happy. Give yourself a break once in a while and learn to be ok with the less than perfect things in life.
  4. Give people a chance! Almost every single person I've disliked at one point has ended up being my friend in the end. All too often we don't like people because we assume that they are one way when they really aren't. How can you dislike someone if you don't actually know them? You can't. If you take the change to get to know people, and understand where they're coming from, most likely you will learn to respect them and like them.
  5. Compliment someone every day. Don't you love compliments? (admit it, you do) When I'm having a bad day, I try really hard to sincerely compliment someone. I don't think people do that nearly enough. Everybody deserves to be told how wonderful they are, and they deserve to hear it often!
Ok, I'll end my little rant.

It's cliche, and cheesy to the max, and preachy, but everyday I really try to embrace happiness, the more happiness I find. Despite rough events and tough times, it's amazing how much happiness I have found I can still let into my life.

:)

1 comment:

  1. This is Cherene on Grandma's computer. I was at the pharmacy and the clerk, noting my last name, asked if I was related to Erin Heap. I was so happy to tell her that I was your favorite Aunt Cherene. You have, of course, figured out that it was Lacee I was talking to and we had a little Erin fan club meeting right then and there! So fun! I love this post. Sorry about the break-up, but I'm sure your mourning will not last long. I think your list is right on! Thanks again for sharing.

    ReplyDelete