Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Wintery Wonderland. Once again!

Oh happy day! Yet again, the lovely village of Ephraim, Utah has been covered in snow! They don't call it Snow College for nothing kids. There is plenty of snow to go around.

But I am not complaining about the snow, no sir, I am not. I feel like cold weather is only justifiable if there is snow. So now I have freezing cold weather AND snow. I always get what I wish for. Except for a baby monkey. No matter how much I wish, I do not have a baby monkey. It's a tragedy really.

Does anyone really actually enjoy the singles ward? Not the cheesy movie...the actual real deal thing. Because, I really kind of don't. Sometimes it feels like we've thrust a bunch of clueless young adults with  minimal adult support and leadership and ask them to run things smoothly, and find their eternal companion in the process. Oh wait, that IS what a singles ward is. There are really wonderful people in my ward, don't get me wrong, they are great. But there is a serious male deficiency in our ward with  sort of causes the ladies to turn into vicious piranhas. You walk into Relief Society in your boho skirt and ankle boots looking like a lazy hobo who found religion, and everyone else is dressed like they're attending the Oscars. That's one thing I will never understand about girls. With church bright and early at 9:30 how is it that they get up shower, blow dry, and curl their extremely long hair into perfect 1" ringlets. How does that happen? Am I the only woman on earth who values sleep? Because if I were to do that, it would require me waking up VERY VERY early. And guys, that just isn't going to happen. It just isn't. There is nothing to do to motivate me to even want to do that.
The next thing I don't particularly love is the activities. Everything is turned into a get to know you game. It's like our leaders don't think we're capable of socializing on our own. (which sadly most of us are not) For example this Monday they told us that they wanted to feed us a lovely dinner. That's it. Just a lovely dinner. I happen to be pretty much poor beyond all reason, so if you're offering to feed me, I'm going to take you up on that offer. So naturally I showed up. But ladies and gentlemen this was NOT just a lovely dinner. This was a lot less of a ward activity and a lot more of a warm humiliation. They sat us randomly at a long table. And then they tied our hands to the people sitting next to us.
So eating involved tugging some one's arm with you and bringing your hand AND their hand to your face.
It was really fun. I have never seen so many distressed and grouchy college students before. Although I'm not sure what the motivation to do this activity was.
I mean " Hey I'm sorry I just put half your hand in my mouth when I was trying to shove my roll in my face" isn't exactly the best way to start a conversation. Although I will tell you this. I have learned which boys are the polite boys in the ward are.
Oh goodness. Never again please.

Today I have had a most perplexing problem on my mind. I really like seafood. It's delicious. And I would eat it all the time if I had the choice. But also, if I were to be a mythical creature I would be a mermaid. Not like a rebellious redheaded mermaid who isn't content with her awesome mer-life. Like a legit mermaid. With the singing, and the swimming and the underwater shenanigans. BUT, if a mermaid  eats seafood does that make her a half cannibal? I mean she would be consuming her fishy relatives.
It's a complex issue right? I asked pretty much everyone I could think of. And the general consensus is that I probably am too old to be thinking about mermaids. Also that yes, it probably would be half cannibalism for a mermaid to eat seafood.
However not to fear, Shannon told me that "its a dilemma we've been fighting for years. There's a 5K tomorrow to support it and you may purchase t-shirts and other supportive paraphernalia."
You guys all thought that Matt and Shannon were a good productive couple already, and now you know that they are trying to solve the mermaid cannibalism problems of the world. Truly they are an inspiration to us all.
What do you think? Cannibalism? Or just delicious diet choice?

4 comments:

  1. Erin you need to post every day. You would if you realized how it lifted my spirits. I love you and I love reading your blog. I have a request to make. I don't know how to request you as a friend on Facebook, so could you request me? I want to see the beautiful picture Cherene told me about.
    You have opened up and whole new perspective for me to contemplate with the mermaid problem. Keep on flashing that beautiful smile, especially at ward functions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baha! I feel so famous! :) and that dinner sounds like the jackpot of all people watching situations. I SO wish I was a fly on the wall! I'm honestly still giggling just imagining. :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well i can say I would certainly rather be watching than trying to take part in the eating.... It really would be very entertaining.....to say the least...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still love your blog even though I never comment. :) And I don't think it's cannibalism! Different species! It's like us eating deer. Just because we both breathe air and both have legs, doesn't mean we are cannibals for eating them. See? Problem solved. I can't wait to see you as a boho mermaid snacking away on shrimp and crab legs. ;)

    ReplyDelete